Edwin A. Astwood
On November 11, 2012, Edwin Astwood was elected to be the Member of Parliament for Grand Turk South & Salt Cay, after a hard – fought six month campaign. Edwin rose to prominence in PDM Grand Turk Branch after delivering an inspiring presentation on a Master Plan Development for the Island of Grand Turk.
Edwin Astwood is an independent-minded person, who is known for being unafraid to speak and hear truth when necessary, and is also known for delivering some strong and passionate performances on the floor of parliament, on issues of concern of the
– Coach for the Turks & Caicos Common Wealth Games Association, accompanying athletes to Deli, India and Glasgow, Scotland.
– President of the TCI Common Wealth Games’ Weight Lifting Association
– Sponsoring and partaking in numerous Environmental Clean-up campaigns.
– Mentoring coach for troubled Youth
– Development of Alternative Master plan For Grand Turk & Salt Cay
community. His values are strongly shaped by his expertise as a Health Professional and Human Resources Manager, and by his strong moral upbringings. While introverted by nature, Edwin mingles easily with others from all socio-economical, religious, ethnic, and political backgrounds, and is most comfortable addressing large crowds.
Hon. Astwood’s areas of special legislative interest have been in support for working families and Single Parents, juvenile justice, health care, environmental protection, infrastructure development and upgrading, unemployment and jobs creation, and the improvement of the economy of Grand Turk and Salt Cay. He has been a strong voice for an increase in the Minimum wage. He was the lead sponsor of Private Members Motion for the updating and enforcement of our public and environmental Health Laws, and for consideration of an increase in the country’s Minimum Wage.
Edwin Astwood has personally sponsored fourteen clean-up campaigns throughout the communities in order to promote a healthier environment. He has also been a strong voice against the environmental and instrumental neglect of the Grand Turk & Salt Cay.
Hon. Astwood is an active member of the Methodist church. He is also a member of the Freemason’s Fraternity. He frequently volunteers in local youth, sports and community functions. In addition, he volunteers his time in speaking to troubled youth of the community, and believes strongly helping rather than incarcerating juveniles. The protection of Grand Turk & Salt Cay’s precious environment, from the beaches and costal mangroves to the foothills and scrublands of surrounding our communities, is central to his vision of responsible government.
Hon. Astwood had been employed in the Turks and Caicos government civil service for seventeen years, 1994 -2012. The job posts he held include Laboratory Technician, Medical Technologist, Laboratory Manager, Health Services Manager, and Deputy Permanent Secretary to the Governor’s Office. As a Member of Parliament he will continue to work to:
– Improve the standard and reduce the cost of Health Services in the Turks & Caicos Islands
– Address and minimize gaps in Health Care delivery
– Improve the infrastructure of Grand Turk & Salt Cay
– Fix all roads (major and minor) of Grand Turk & Salt Cay
– Improve and promote the tourism product of Grand Turk & Salt Cay
– Improve and Promote youth development and sports development programs
– Advocate for Juvenile Justice Reform
– Advocate for increase funding for senior citizens centers which includes improvements in care delivery
– Implementation of measures for assisting in the creation locally owned business
– Improvement of sports and recreational parks and outdoor spaces
– Support new programs that help protect the environment and legislation that deter pollution
– Address the stray and wild animal situation of Grand Turk & Salt Cay
– Address youth violence in implementing deterrent measures and alternative activities.
- Tourism Development
- Economic Development
- Job Creation
- Affordable Housing
- Youth Activities
- Health Care
- The Environment
2005-2006 - BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION / CONCENTRATION - NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY
GOVERNOR’S OFFICE, GRAND TURK, TURKS & CAICOS